Monday, December 27, 2010

Thumbless Baby Mitts

I guess I must be one of Santa's helpers because I'm still making gifts. I'm becoming addicted to hats of all things. They quick and easy enough to make on a whim. Since I was off today and certainly got bored, or rather suffered from withdrawal, I had to find something to make. So I came up with Thumbless Mitts for one of my nieces. She's just 6 months so thumbs really are not necessary yet. I combined info from toe up socks, hats and top down socks and mittens to come up with these little cuties. It's a really versitile that can use pretty much any stitch but I wanted fpdc to match the Reversible Strands Hat for Men pattern by Nancy Smith.
































I think just about any yarn weight will work for these mitts as well but you may have to do a few more rows of increases. I haven't tried it yet but I think that it would be as simple as this:
inc every 4th st, inc every 5th st and so forth. Then reduce back down to for the wrist. I eyeballed this all thing so my niece hasn't even tried these on yet but it looks like they will fit. If they're too big, no problem.
Thumbless Baby Mitts
Materials:
I used a very small amount Caron Rainbow Tones (Country Rose) but any worsted weight yarn will do. Experiment with other yarn weights!
H crochet hook
Yarn needles for weaving in ends
Notes: Work first stich in same stitch where you joined when working sc rows.

Mitt
Chain 4
Rnd 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook and each across (3sc). Working on opposite side of chain, sc in next 3sc for a total of 6sc, join with a sl st and ch 1.
Rnd 2: work 2 fpdc in each sc. join with a sl st and ch 1 (12 dc)
Rnd 3: Work even, join with a sl st and ch 1
Rnd 4: *dc in the 1st st, 2dc in the next st. Rep from * around. join with a sl st and ch 1 (18 dc)
Rnd 5: Work even, join with a sl st and ch 1
Rnd 6: Work dc in the 1st dc, 2 dc in the next. Work 2 dc in every 3rd st around. Dc in the last st. join with a sl st and ch 1 (24dc)
Rnd 7-13: Work even (24dc)

Wrist
Rnd 14-15: Sc in each stitch.
Rnd 16: Dec 3 sts evenly spaced (21 dc)
Rnd 17: Hdc in each st (21 hdc)
Rnd 18-20: Work fphdc in each sts around (21 fphdc)
Finish off.

I'm not a designer so I can't guarantee that this pattern is perfect but I hope it is.
Keep stitchin'

4 comments:

Jessi said...

these are just so adorable I cant wait to try making the little mittens thank you so much for sharing them

Tamara said...

Very cute! Thank you for sharing your pattern! I featured a link to it this morning on Moogly: http://www.mooglyblog.com/warm-hands-winter-10-free-crochet-mittens-patterns/ :)

Lee Ann said...

Great baby patterns! Thank you! :)

_______
Lee Ann

Crochet...Gotta Love It! Blog


YouTube Channel

Unknown said...

I found you on Ravelry last night! I'd made a cap for my 4-1/2 month old great nephew & wanted a pair of mitts to go with. I attached a crocheted cord to go thru this coat & tied to each mitt, so he wouldn't lose one! Thank you so much for sharing your pattern! 💕