Thursday, October 17, 2013

Land ho!

My shawl is done!
I made several mistakes along the way, such is life.  Being human I've had my share of crisis and struggles.  So my shawl shows the points during the voyage when I was adrift.  But like any good sailor, I was able to weather the storm, check my navigation and bring her to shore.
The blues remind me of a sunny day and clear waters.  But as evening approaches, you see dusk, with the threat of a storm approaching in the purple skies.  The ship is tossed during that storm with several dropped stitches.  I recover and try to find the my lost stitches though not always successfully.  Once I reach the shore, even in the night, I can see the remnants of sea glass and shells that have washed ashore.  And I smile because I still made it to the end.

This shawl was definitely a whole lot easier than I expected it to be.  I'd say the hardest part was starting the circle.  After deciding to go with Emily Ocker's Circular Cast-on it was easier.  Of course starting anything with so few stitches is going to be bothersome to start so be prepared for some rough waters.  Find a quiet place to start your circle and work the first 4-5 rounds.  After that, you've got something to work with and life gets a little easier.


You can hardly see them but those little glints around the edges are the few beads I scattered.  The things that flicker in the night when the moonlight hits them.
Hopefully the ruffles will lay flat once the shawl is blocked.  The patterned leaves are beautiful and I am able to see some hearts.  I want all of that to show after blocking.  All in all I did enjoy making this and just may make another one next year.

Keep stitchin'

No comments: