Monday, February 15, 2010

Practice what you preach!!

A lesson hard learnt for so many of us. I teach and constantly have to say things like: Follow instructions, Attention to detail, Read the entire sentence. But many times when I am working on a project, following someone else’s instructions, I need someone over my shoulder telling me the same thing. Yesterday I started on a, what is supposed to be, simple pair of Mary-Jane slippers. A one-day project for most people but not me. Why? Because I don't practice what I preach. I had to ripped this simple little slipper sole two times and then switch to a smaller hook because I could see the sole was way to long. It was looking more like a skinny scarf than the sole of a slipper. So I finally got the sole where I was comfortable and continued. Even though my slipper was arched like a boat and pointed at the toe and the heel, I pressed on. The whole time I'm thinking to myself, hmmm this would probably work better as single crochet but I pressed on. When I got to the very last row I decided, what the heck, I'm shaking things up and doing a row of single crochet. DONE!!!!
Hmmmm, I'm scratching my head. Something ain't right! My slipper looks like an elf shoe! I went back on ravelry and took a look. No one else’s look like elf shoes So I decided to have a good look at the directions again. Maybe I worked too many rows of dc…nope that wasn't it. And then, bam!!! Right in front of my eyes! I feel like Homer Simpson. Duh, the English version, I do believe I am American, says that I should be doing SINGLE CROCHET!!! It really does pay to practice what you preach.


So here you can see the entire episode of starting with the sole, working up the sides, adding the border and there you have it...Keebler Elf! What to do now? I decided to make the best of it. I'm going to make another one exactly the same way and put pom-poms on the toes. What fun!!
Then I'll get back to business and make them the way they are supposed to be made. And this time, I'll practice what I preach.

Keep stitchin'

No comments: