Saturday, February 5, 2011

Like watching paint dry

This is how I felt when I started knitting these socks with sock/fingering weight yarn. The pattern I'm using list patience as one of the needed materials for making the socks. Honestly it seemed like it was taking sooooo long just to see an inch of cuff once I finished my 10 rows of ribbing. Several times I put the sock down and knew I'd never get those socks knitted. Then, all of a sudden, I got into my happy zone and had about 3" of cuff done! After that it turned into a good book that I didn't want to put down. Suddenly those stitches didn't seem so freaking small after all.













I'm using the Silver Sock Class tutorial provided by Kristin Bellehumeur to make my socks on double pointed needles. It's so very easy and very clear following Kristin's instructions. She provides three different methods for making socks and I want to try them all! Also, her instructions provide the cast on adjustments based on yarn weight so there's no need for gauge checking!!!
So I've finished all but grafting the toe of the first sock but I was too excited to finish that part. Instead, I went on and started the second sock and didn't go through that nasty 'watching paint dry' period at all!


I only have one regret with theses socks, the length. I have big calves and ankles, better known as cankles grrrrrrr. I was concerned that the socks would not come all the way up to my knees so I stopped at 6.5" like most of my socks...big mistakes. The socks have tons of stretch in them and would have been a great pair of knee highs without strangling my legs. I chalk it up to a learning experience and look forward to making another pair. This pair will certainly be knee highs. I can't wait to finish this pair, hopefully this weekend so I can wear them soon. I now see how people get addicted to knitting socks.
Here's a tip that I came up with that served as inspiration for me to finishe this project and any other that I may be struggling with.
"When I'm working on a project from raverly, especially a slow knitted project, save a finished project to your pc's background to provide constant inspiration to continue. For some it may be easier to print a copy and hang but with trying to lower carbon imprints just save it as a background or screensaver."
Looking at all the pretty FO's on raverly lead me think it would be nice to have that motivation right in front of me as a reminder. I set a beautiful pair of socks on my pc's background at work and at home so I'm constantly looking at them. Eventually, I'll be able to replace them with my own socks!


Keep stitchin'

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for your inspiration! I found your blog through ravelry and it really helps to know you're out there, looking at your 'motivational' socks on your screensaver. I'm gearing up to try socks very soon, and I am glad to come across your blog. :) Thanks Bejai!

Unknown said...

Thank you Priscilla, it feels good to know all my rambling is helpful to others! Keep me informed when you start your socks.