Thursday, March 5, 2009

Baby It's Cold Outside!

I know it's been a minute but it's so cold here. Our gas and electric company, BGE, is off the hook. Some people's bill is two to three times higher even though they have not made any significant changes in their life styles. Honestly, I keep my thermostat set at 62-65 degrees and shiver wrap in shawls and sweaters. Thank goodness for handcrafts!! I can so easily whip up a hat, a neck warmer or a pair of bed socks to keep me warm. It's been too cold to sit at the computer or do anything but stay wrapped up and wait for the heater fan to kick in. As soon as I start to thaw and cuts off and amazingly in about a minute I'm shivering again. So since it's a bit warmer today... yeah, and even warmer this weekend, I can get caught up.
I bought Doris Chan's book 'Everyday Crochet and made her sweater called Soft Serve. It was a bit sketchy in the beginning because the directions seemed off, to me. What I've learned is that I have to simply trust and follow the directions. Mine came out really nice. I used Caron Simply Soft. The book says its a good bed jacket but once I saw it I knew I wanted it for day/evening wear. It's perfect for covering my arms when I wear a sleeveless dress. The yarn drapes very well and the garment looks very feminine.
I also created a couple of heart-shaped bookmarks for Valentine's Day. They were given to two lovely sisters to use in their bibles. I used J&P Coats Royale Crochet Thread #10. I have not worked with this thread in quite some time worried that it would bother my arthritic hands, espesically during the cold weather. I guess because it was such a quick project I had no problems. One of them has hearts on each end while the other has beads added to glitz it up a bit.
Lets see what else do I have. Oh, I made a hat to match my coat. I found a pattern on the Lion Brand website that called for one skein of yarn. Since I already had some green yarn in my stash I figured it is perfect. Instead of using Lion Brand Homespun like the pattern called for I used Red Heart Light & Lofty which is another super bulky yarn that works up really fast. The hat is kinda goofy looking but very warm and roomy since I just braided my hair.








Keep stitchin'

No comments: